Friday, January 4, 2013

My NOT so typical day-


FRIDAY, OCTOBER 17, 2008


I knew it wouldn't take too terribly long to have a NOT so typical day. Yesterday proved to be one of THOSE days.

I awoke earlier than usual to my househelper knocking on the door, asking for not only her pay, but for a $300 advance so she could buy a washing machine for her niece. Here, where we live, bride stealing is a very normal part of life, and her niece was one of the unfortunate ones to have to start her marriage off with a kidnapping and rape. This guy sees her once, decides she's the one for him, gets a bunch of friends together and pulls her into the car. Once she steps foot onto his parents' property in those circumstances she is theirs- no questions asked. It is brutal and oh so too normal. So, her aunt now must go and lavish her with an appropriate gift to seal the deal.

After we get her squared away, (yes, I did give her the money, as she has been with us for over 7 years and has never been unfaithful in money matters) I make up my coffee and try again for the third straight day to get on the internet- again to thwarted success. Ugh! I hate computer problems, especially when they involve my internet!! Looks like The Water Guy has fixed everything up and I'm able to get on again.

So, instead of my regular gal showing up, a friend of hers came. I must share a funny thing that happened today- making again for a strange day. When we were last in the States, we had some aquaintances that live nearby in another city. She asked my to help her find a friend that lives in our city- a friend from her youth, and all she knew was that she lived here. I though, "Oh no, that will be impossible with only a name and birthyear. I'll have to call the phone company, hmmm... maybe the tax office, there's just no way." Well, when this young gal shows up to work I asked her where I should start. I told her all I know is that her name is... , and the next thing she says is, "Hey, I know her!! She was my English teacher last year." So that ended that. It really was that easy. We called her house and I could talk to her myself, giving her greetings from her long lost friend and helping them hook up again after all these years.

All the kids managed to get through all their subjects in school, which is another thing that is not so typical. We even had time to get some fresh tortillas and some homemade cinnamon rolls made! Mmmm... they tasted great for dinner/ dessert.

All was going well, for the rest of the day, until the power went out just after dinner. So, we sat in the dark for another evening. I had re-started Wuthering Heights as I had gotten to the beginning of Vol. II and felt I needed to go back and re-read the beginning now that I was more aquainted with the characters. Okay, this is a VERY weird book. I don't know of any other "classic" in which incest, domestic violence and necrophilia are the central themes. What a strange journey into the subjects most taboo to mankind. The rest of the gang played a board game or UNO, until it just got to tiresome. I think we were all tucked in by 9:00.

Well, if thinking about Wuthering Heights hadn't have kept me up all night, the party across the street surely would've!! LOUD! (I mean really loud!) music blared off and on until 2:45 AM. It kept most of us awake, and hence we are now getting a start to our day at about 10:00. I've always thought that if you're going to have a party that keeps your neighbors awake, the least you can to is invite them :)

Hope you are all well, and enjoying life to the fullest. Typical day or not, there' always Someone there with you to give you that gift of a "full life".

No comments:

Post a Comment